Tuesday, May 22, 2007

What Movies Are You Into?

When I was a junior and senior in high school, I had the best job in the world, working as an usher at the Summit Mall Theater in Akron, Ohio. What a gig. I got hired, then all my friends got hired. We suited up in blue tuxedos in a locker room up by the balcony. We knew all the girls that worked behind the candy and popcorn counter. It was a total blast. There were two screens and it was one of the nicest theaters in the northeast Ohio.

Popular movies then, several of which I still know line-for-line, include Saturday Night Fever, The Wiz, Star Trek, Superman, Every Which Way But Loose, The Goodbye Girl, Grease, Close Encounters of the Third Kind, Animal House, Jaws II, Heaven Can Wait, and Kramer Vs. Kramer.

Today, I enjoy the classics, anything with Jimmy Stewart, Lionel Barrymore, etc. Favorites include You Can't Take It With You and It's a Wonderful Life. More recent top picks include Cinderella Man, Schindler's List, and Gladiator. The thing is, I'm always looking for great new movies, so feel free to offer a list of your favorites here. If you like, tell who's in your favorite flicks and why you like them so much. Thanks! CM

4 comments:

C.J. Darlington said...

I just watched Night at the Museum. Great flick! And if you're into classics, Dick Van Dyke, Mickey Rooney & Bill Cobbs each have small parts. I'll have a review up this weekend at TitleTrakk.com.

A couple recent movies I've enjoyed are: Flicka, Bridge to Terabithia, Rocky Balboa, The Last Sin Eater, and Flightplan.

Sheryl said...

One of my favorite movies is You've Got Mail with Meg Ryan and Tom Hanks. Great romantic comedy, set in NY, and with both characters working in bookstores, what could be better? :-) Meg runs the children's bookstore her mom started, and Tom's family owns the big, bad chain bookstore opening around the corner. I can watch that movie over and over again and never get tired of it.

I also loved The Lord of the Rings trilogy.

Creston Mapes said...

CJ, We just watched Night at the Museum as a family and got some laughs out of it. Have seen Flightplan. Really want to see The Last Sin Eater, adapted from the Francine Rivers novel by Fox Films. I've submitted my first two novels to them to have a look at.

Sheryl, I loved the Lord of the Rings books as a boy, but haven't had the opportunity to see the movies. Also, I love Tom Hanks in just about anything!

What about the rest of you guys? Give us some ideas for the next time we're at Netflix! Thanks, Cres

C.J. Darlington said...

Okay, another movie you must see--Evan Almighty. Just saw it last night, and it was great!