Thursday, September 6, 2007

A Cool Thing

Hey,
I just got back from Crawford Communications here in Atlanta, a really hip, high-end communications company. My publisher arranged for me to do a one-minute radio spot, advertising the new ESV Bible. I was able to introduce myself, and my new novel (NOBODY), and then read a scripture that impacted my life, and tell about it.

The guys in charge told me to prepare 2 scriptures and stories. A guy down at Crawford named Steve Warner ran the show, and we were hooked in with the producer in Nashville at the same time. They ushered me into an air-tight studio, and I got to have a couple shots at trying to sound smooth on the air.

The ads will be played on hundreds of radio stations. When I finished my two stories, I was really psyched. Not at all about getting my books out there, but about getting the testimony of God's Word out there. Here are the two scripts I read:

-----------------------------------

Hey, my name is Creston Mapes, author of the suspense thriller, Nobody.

It was 1986 and I was 25 when I heard the words of Revelation 3:15-16:

“I know your works: you are neither cold nor hot. Would that you were either cold or hot! So, because you are lukewarm, and neither hot nor cold, I will spit you out of my mouth.”

Sitting in an adult SS class, I heard these verses and was pierced to the core. Up to that point, I had lived with one foot on earth, running with the sinners, and one foot in heaven, running with the saints. But the sword of God’s word showed me that I was a hypocrite, totally apathetic and uncommitted toward God. I was lukewarm.

This text served as one of those “hard words” from God that radically changed my life and eventually led me to understand his unfathomable love.

----------------------------

Hey, my name is Creston Mapes, author of the suspense thriller, Nobody.

This verse from 1 Peter 2:24 came to me early one morning when it was still black out, and the house was completely quiet.

“He himself bore our sins in his body on the tree, that we might die to sin and live to righteousness. By his wounds you have been healed.”

I’d been struggling with temptations from my old life when these words fell like a warm rain on me as I sat at my kitchen table. Suddenly, this truth was so simple, concise, and powerful—He took my sins to the cross. I was dead to them. He did this so I could be salt and light to the world.

Next time Satan tries to trick you into thinking you’re obligated to those old, habitual sins, remember 1 Peter 2:24: By his wounds, you have been healed!

------------------------

Any thoughts? Share with the group!

Until next time, take care. cm

No comments: