Monday, December 17, 2007

New Year Cheer

Ah, Christmas time. Cold. Rainy. Windy. Snowy. Finding the right gift for loved ones. Less work, more play. Time with family. Mouth-watering food.

I guess one of the most wonderful things about this time of year, for me, is looking back on the past and, more importantly, looking ahead to the new year. Some people, my lovely wife included, don't think much about the new year. But I do! To me, it's a romantic, reflective time. And it's a time to listen to what God might be leading you to do in the new year. Something totally different. Something you've never done before!

Each year, our family goes to the Krispy Kreme donut shop for hot chocolate, coffee, and donuts. As we sit around, enjoying the warmth of the coffee shop and the smell of fresh donuts, we go around in a circle and tell the family what each of us would like them to pray for us--for the entire new year. We also go over the previous year's prayer requests and see if and how the prayers were answered. Pretty cool stuff.

Personally, I have a lot of things floating around in my mind, as far as the new year is concerned. I've got some new freelance writing opportunities I'm hoping open up. My agent is shopping my fourth novel--we'll see what happens with that. And I have some other ideas that I'm praying about. We also have three elderly parents and an aunt, who we will have our eye on this year...hoping they stay strong, but knowing anything is possible.

I've kind of rambled. That's all I have time for now. Take care and be thinking about what you're gonna do in 2008 that's going to be a big deal. If you want, share it here by leaving a comment!

Peace,

cm

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Merry Christmas, Creston! My dad gave me a gift card for Barnes and Noble, and the first book I ordered was NOBODY. I can't wait to read it!!!!

Have a great New Year!

Creston Mapes said...

Pais,

Enjoy the book and let me know how you like it! Happy New Year! Your friend, Creston

C.J. Darlington said...

I'm like you, Creston. I enjoy thinking about the new year and all the great things it will hold (gotta be positive now, right?)

I love your family tradition. Nothing like sugar, caffeine and family. Um, not in that order, of course! :)

Looking forward to hearing about your upcoming works. I'm hoping this year will hold a publishing contract for me as well, but we'll see.

Happy New Year!

Creston Mapes said...

CJ,

Godspeed as you seek that contract in 08. Check out the interview I did with ACFW at acfw.com...should be posted soon and I'll be doing a live chat there on Feb. 4 at 8 pm eastern time....addresses the publishing biz, etc. Blessings, cres