Friday, January 4, 2008

This N That

Happy New Year.

Well, my lovely wife Patty and I celebrated our 23rd wedding anniversary by slipping away to one of our favorite retreats, Chateau Elan Winery and Resort in Braselton, GA. We had a romantic dinner at Cafe Elan, enjoyed a perfect evening and a terrace view of the North Georgia Mountains, and dined at the beautiful Versailles Room for breakfast.

I gained weight this holiday and have vowed myself to carrots, grain and water for 2008.

My second novel, FULL TILT, has been translated into Dutch! I received three copies in the mail recently. The translated words for FULL TILT (new title) is: HOOG-SPANNING. You can check it out here.

All six of us Mapes have been sick over the New Year Holiday, except one...stay healthy HKM!

It was our yellow lab, Jarod's, birthday Jan. 2nd. He turned 8. We celebrate by giving him a pig's ear. He tosses it in the air, runs about the yard with it, truly savoring the crunchy treat.

NOBODY was selected as the January Book of the Month over at the American Christian Fiction Writers. I'll be doing a live chat with that bunch on Feb. 4 at 8pm (Eastern) if you want to check it out. Drop by and say hello. Dineen Miller did a cool interview with me on that web site...give it a look here.

I am reading a remarkably intriguing book right now, Water for Elephants. Okay, it's got a few parts that are rated R, but the writing is incredible.....if only I could ever write like that. It's first-person, which I love. Two of my three books have been first-person, and I enjoy that style very much.

It got down to 15 degrees here in Atlanta yesterday. Cold and sunny. Beautiful....reminds me of good ole Akron, Ohio (it will always be 'home').

My agent is shopping a 4th novel.

It's hockey season and you can't beat that. Between the Thrashers and Gladiators, I'm lovin' it!

My son got a new Game Cube NHL hockey game for Christmas this year. I've been playing it more than he has. You choose the teams, the uni's, the venue. You check and poke, shoot wristers and slap shots...pretty awesome stuff. (After everyone went to bed the other night I ALMOST got on it.)

New revelation for 2008: Writing books ain't everything (as I thought it was).

My prayer request for 2008: Love God with all my heart, soul, mind, and strength, and love my neighbor like I want to be loved.

I should really be writing academic one-sheets for a college in LA right now, but I can't seem to get into it.

Happy New Year. cm

3 comments:

C.J. Darlington said...

Hey, Creston. I've tagged you for a writing meme, if you're interested. My post can be found here.

Anonymous said...

Hey Creston, if I may call you Creston. I just want to say thank you x100 for your book Darkstar. My students LOVE IT! They are reading ahead, paying attention, doing their homework (for the most part). It is great - but then, I knew it would be. We are only half way through, but they are already asking if we can start looking for the sequel. The only books they have liked as much are Frank Peretti's Hangman's Curse and Nightmare Academy. If you still live in GA and have a couple of hours to drive over to little ol' McCormick, SC (Lake Thurmond), the students at Long Cane Academy (and myself) would be thrilled to entertain you for a day and pick your brain. We are a tiny Christian school and I am always looking for ways to keep my students interested in their education and their faith. I can never express my gratitude for how your book has helped. I think a couple of students are seriously thinking about their current situation and wether or not they are really saved. Thank you, thank you, thank you, and God Bless you and your family.
Heather
Long Cane Academy
1317 Overbrook Dr
McCormick,SC 29835
864-465-2981

Creston Mapes said...

Dear Heather,

Thank you so much for the kind comment you left at my blog.

I am grateful to know that your class is enjoying Dark Star. What grade are these children in? For you to rate my writing in a class with Frank Peretti...that's quite an ego booster! But, don't worry, I won't let it get to me.

To know that several of your students are re-evaluating their faith is truly a blessing and only something God could orchestrate. I know the kids will be into Full Tilt when it's time for another book. My new novel, Nobody, may also interest them.

Although I can't promise a trip over to the school, I would be honored to sign some bookplate stickers that the kids can stick inside their books, and a few other goodies. If that is something they would like, let me know.

Until next time, warm regards, and thanks so much for making my day.

Your friend,

Creston