Wednesday, January 30, 2008

I Love Book Clubs


Last night I had the privilege of joining the ladies from the North Metro First Baptist Ladies Book Club here in Atlanta for an evening of good food, good book discussion, and good fellowship.

Since this was my second time at this Club, we did something different. I gave a little background about myself and my first two novels, but then, as we went into the discussion about the book they just finished, my new one, Nobody, I told them all about my research trip to Las Vegas. I shared photographs I'd taken on the trip and a lot of notes I'd taken and research I'd gathered along the way. They seemed genuinely intrigued by how all the ideas and plot twists "were born." And I had a blast doing it. This approach took the pressure off of me to do something "formal," and just allowed me to be myself, talk with the group, and discuss the book in a very casual and open way.

Book clubs are fantastic because they give your novel widespread notoriety. If people in the club like/love the selection, they tell their friends, and even buy the book for certain, specific acquaintances. And there's usually great food. Like last night, we had an awesome cake (photo coming), all kinds of desserts, and my favorite, these addicting chocolate-covered almonds. Those and water and I was set.

If you're wondering what that guy on the left is doing in the photo, that's John. Believe me, he had to have some pretty tight connections to get into this meeting.

On other fronts, I'm going to be doing a live author chat to discuss NOBODY on Feb. 4 at 8 p.m. eastern time. This is something we're doing with the American Christian Fiction Writers, which, if you're an aspiring writer, is a great group with which to partner. My friend Dineen Miller did a really nice interview with me at this web site. For details on all this, click here.

Take care! cm

No comments: